September 21, 2011

Summary of the 13th Pyweek

Pyweek 13 is in its final stage. So here is a summary of my experiances, for everyone who want to participate in the future.

Schedule:

When theme voting begin, make sort plan about each theme. I mean think about what game would you write for each one. It will save you a lot of developing time later.

After challenge start think some more about your game idea. Take account how much time will you have to code and how complex game you can finish.

If you add artworks and sounds during coding you don't need to plan days long polishing, so you will have more time to develope.

It save you time if you just submit a source code and don't make any executable. See "Killer moves" for more advise.

Killer moves:

ALWAYS add readme with dependencies. Somebody may find disturbing to hunt them down.

Don't dare write a code with a lot of dependencies. Max 2-3 if you plan to submit source. Maybe some people will think:" Oh man a lot of dependencies I wont instal them for sure!" or just "Ragequit" after the 4. dep. installation.

Create controls that make sense.

My mistakes:

I missed the theme voiting time to think about games.

I made a mistake in my schedule. Underestameted my coding skills (XD) and I was done with it at the 2nd day. So I had a lot of time after finish code that I could use to write a more complex game.

No comments:

Post a Comment